Thursday, October 20, 2011

Art History Field Trip!

Two weeks ago, I went to the Artists' Alliance Gallery and the Ghana National Museum with my Art History class. They were pretty great!

I liked the Artist Alliance Gallery best. It featured contemporary art by local artists that was all for sale. It's cool because it was set up like a gallery in the first world - a classy place to house the art and show it off to wealthy potential buyers. Most of the art I buy (read: can afford) here is sold off the street - a stall full of masks, say, or a guy holding 30 rolled up canvas paintings that he whips out when he sees you coming. This was very Western (I'll admit, that's probably why I liked it so much) - everything was organized and displayed respectfully and set at gallery prices. Anyway, for those people who think that African Art is some sort of static set of traditional woodcarving and body painting, take a look at what I saw!


My favorites were the metal works on display up the sunny staircase with big windows that looked out onto the ocean.


Said pretty staircase!






They also had collections for "Antique" art, including some wicked awesome (and totally original, as African art changes and artists are innovative, just like Western art) masks!

For some reason, Blogger won't let me upload anymore pictures, so I'll have to try again later to get stuff from the National Gallery up. It was cool there too, but not as cool as the Artist's Alliance Gallery. They had a lots of traditional art, but it was more "mainstream" and didn't explore the innovations in the same way the Gallery did. They did have a cool slavery exhibit, though!

No comments:

Post a Comment