Thursday, November 17, 2011

Turning 24 in Ghana

Two weeks ago, I turned 24! I was a little apprehensive about having my birthday in Ghana, away from all my family and friends, but luckily, I've made such good friends among the International students in my hostel, that my birthday was most excellent! In fact, since I mentioned (complained) to them that I'm accustomed to sharing my birthday with the 9 friends I have born in late October/early November, they made sure I felt special for the whole week! The day before my birthday, Lianne bought mixings for pineapple mojitos and we all watched Shutter Island. On my birthday I went for a massage and we ate red velvet cake!




We also played with party hats, masks, and horns, much to the dismay of the ISH porters.



Eventually, we took our party fun to the next logical conclusion: Unicorn Battles!



After that, we just rolled around on the grass!


That was my first day being 24! The fun didn't stop, though, as the next day, one of our ISEP members planned a joint birthday party for me and her husband (we was born on the 4th). It was a potluck and she made AMAZING sausage pasta sauce and I commissioned our own Louise (aggressive Ghanaian saleswoman who sells pastries outside ISH) to make me a cake, which was delicious!

Theeeen, on Saturday and Sunday, we went to Kokrobite, to continue our celebrations! Since our cameras all broke when we went the weekend before for Lianne's birthday, we have no pictures of it, but I'll jsut use last week's pictures since it was basically the same!



Boooobby!

Lovely, warm ocean!

We found a tire swing!



My birthday was coming to a close, but I'm going to go ahead and count us going to see In Time at the movie theatre as part of my birthday, since Lianne and Marianne probably wouldn't have gone for it otherwise. We all loved it, though, and highly recommend it! (Kinda funny to watch a movie about poverty in the valley of the Ghana Elite that is the Accra Mall...) Hooray for my almost-week-long birthday!

1 comment:

  1. Guess we're gonna have to top that when you come home.

    ReplyDelete